Monday, October 20, 2014

First Boy Scout Campout

Last Friday-Saturday I went on an 11-year old boy scout campout for, well, scouts! All the scouts (and I) drove up the mountain around 3:30-ish. When we got there we first set up a tent, then took a walk to the river where some old scoutmaster got mad at us for supposedly "throwing trash into the river".

When we got back to camp we tried to start a fire using flint and steel, and then we cut logs open. After 30 minutes of trying to start a fire Bro. Howell (our scoutmaster) started the fire using a lighter. Shortly after Trevor arrived and my dad arrived (around the same time). Dad brought our tent so we set that up.

Next we cooked dinner! All dinner was was hot dogs and (for me) some weird sandwich thing mom got for me at Panera Bread. Shortly after dinner there was dessert (I didn't have any, obviously), and at the very end of the day Bro. Howell talked with us about a few things. We had fun with throwing the  wood dust into the fire, which made a huge "fire explosion". Later I went to bed with Dad.

The next morning we cooked breakfast (oatmeal) and started packing up. Once our tent was gone, we started working on some things to sign off. First off was fitness (which was hard to do on the asphalt and park bench). Next we split into groups. I was in the group with both Landons. First we worked on knots while the other group worked on compass stuff. Next we switched to the compass stuff, which I forgot the name of. It was basically trying to find things using a compass. It was fun! After that we pretty much left. (Landon Ginn came to our house afterwards) It was fun and I hope we will be able to do another campout soon!

1 comment:

  1. How fun...a scout campout! Sounds like a great time! Glad you enjoyed it. Pics? Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete